REVEAL HOME INSPECTIONS Return
to Home Page Index
Real Estate Transaction is a Negotiation:
EIGHT CRITICAL MISTAKES TO AVOID IN NEGOTIATING:
Inadequate Preparation - Preparation provides
a good picture of your options and allows for playing flexibility at
the crunch point.
- Ignoring the Give/Get Principle - Each
party needs to conclude the negotiations feeling something has been gained.
- Use of Intimidating Behavior - Research
shows the tougher the tactics the tougher the resistance.
Persuasiveness not dominance makes for more effective outcome.
- Impatience - Give ideas and proposals time
to work. Don't rush things. Patience pays.
- Loss of Temper - Strong negative emotions
are a deterrent to developing a cooperative environment for creating solutions.
- Talking too Much and Listening Too Little
- If you learn to listen you will gain knowledge. If you incline your
ear you will become wise.
- Arguing Instead of Influencing - Your
position can best be explained by education, not stubbornness.
- Ignoring Conflict - Conflict is the
substance of negotiation. Learn to accept and resolve it - not avoid it.